Storm Country:The Anthology Launches to Assist Joplin School Libraries
Storm Country, an anthology published to benefit Joplin School libraries that were damaged or destroyed by an E-5 tornado in May, was recently released and is now available for purchase at http://stormcountry.wordpress.com. The book is a joint project of the Missouri Writers’ Guild and its Joplin Writers Guild chapter, Mozark Press in Sedalia, and the Missouri Humanities Council.
The book contains 70 poems, short stories and creative nonfiction works by authors ranging from the Missouri and Kansas poets laureate, to a Joplin High School sophomore, to a 2011 Pushcart nominee, to sixth-grade students from Fair Grove Middle School, to mystery writer Elaine Viets. Cover price for the anthology is $10.
Copies of the book will also be available at two upcoming launch events. Several St. Louis contributors will read, discuss their work and sign books at a launch on Sunday, November 13th from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Regional Arts Commission, 6128 Delmar in St. Louis. A second launch is scheduled in Joplin on Sunday, December 4th from 1 to 5 p.m. at the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts, 222 W. 3rd in Joplin.
All proceeds from the sale of Storm Country go to the Missouri Writers’ Guild Joplin Book Drive to benefit Joplin School Libraries for the purchase of books, furniture and equipment as they continue to rebuild.
Also in this issue
- Inspiring Conversations: MHC and its Traveling Exhibit Program
- Kicking off The Way We Worked
- BookTalk: The Way We Worked
- Picturing America Exhibit at the Bolduc House Museum
- The Civil War in Missouri Exhibit
- Route 66 Outdoor Mural Exhibits: How They Worked in Cuba MO
- Storm Country: The Anthology Launches to Assist Joplin School Libraries
- New Council Members Elected to MHC